Wednesday, October 14, 2009

POEM FOR A LITTLE DRUMMER BIRD I EUTHANIZED IN SF

Breakin' neck of a Whip-poor-will
Excuse my flying beyond this still
Smiling down from sky on high
Don't you know it made me cry.

Little pigeon who smiles down
Breathe your breath without a sound
Could be laughter, could be rage
Romper room pinewood derby mess kit training outfit with a panty hose rope.

I have known the deeper peace
When you had become the grease
And I will say the motion spoken
Was only there to be uprooted.

Would you waste the time you had
To go where dirty dreams get sad
And could there be an upward spiral
That collapses the muzzle of roses.

I have heard it said that you
Were very carefully unglued
But the tension mounting is only there
To wake the Dead in Boston.

Itch & Scratch were my only sons
And one was not beside the other
What do you say to the bell that jingles
With the light of day?

SCA/~2005